"The best lack all conviction
and the worst are full of passionate intensity"

W.B Yeats - The Second Coming

Monday, January 7, 2008

Not For Publication I

From the cleaning out the email inbox department: Despite most journalists disdain for such an amateur hour section, Letters To The Editor are very well read and very popular amongst readers (how unusual for journalists to have disdain for something that interests readers?). There is a perennial Sydney Morning Herald letter writer called Rosemary O'Brien - famous and marked by her caustic wit, narrow mind and malapropisms par excellence. Rose is one of those people that just doesn't get modern society. One of those people, as ubiquitous as fibro, who think they're above the hoi-polloi and have a withering, destructive and somewhat small view of their fellow human beings. In short she's a dumb as dogshit conservative jack-ass! I wrote the Herald in December following her commenting on her fear that myths develop from people not being reminded of peoples true characters. I replied:

-----Original Message----- From: Methuselah Sent: Wednesday, 12 December 2007 12:46 AM To: SMH Letters Mail Subject: Letter to Ed Don't worry Rosemary O'Brien (Letters, December 12), as someone who has been reading your mendacious tosh for years, I'll take great satisfaction in reminding people of it for decades to come - just so any myths don't get out of hand.

And I received this reply


Hi Methuselah

Even though this wins my unofficial Letter of the Week award, I don't
want to encourage a general slanging match between and about
correspondents (especially Rosemary O'Brien) so I'm afraid I won't be
publishing it. But thanks a lot for sending it.

Letters co-editor
 

No comments: